MAS relies on GIEI after terse reports from the OAS and the Inter-American Court of Justice

The report of the Interdisciplinary Group of International Experts (GIEI), with which the government wants to show that human rights violations and massacres occurred in Bolivia in 2019, is presented today. In the past three weeks the government has faced three international reactions that questioned the version of the “coup” handled by the MAS and denied that unlimited re-election is a human right, as Evo Morales tried to convey.

After the Attorney General closed the case of electoral fraud based on a report commissioned by a research group from the University of Salamanca, Spain, the Organization of American States (OAS) ratified its conclusions on the 2019 presidential election in a document that found malicious irregularities and called it “hemispheric disgrace”.

Meanwhile, the European Union (EU) “categorically” denied that this international body had participated in an alleged “coup”, as the government denounced several times.

Finally, last week the Inter-American Court concluded that indefinite re-election of the president was not a human right.

The Constitutional Court approved a fourth candidacy by Morales who claimed it was “a human right”, but the Inter-American Court ruling completely precludes that “right”.

For the former diplomat and former ambassador of Bolivia to the OAS, Jaime Aparicio, these answers have a very strong international impact. “In general, the things that happen in Bolivia don’t have a global impact, but now they are. The response to the open-ended re-election has been very well received by the OAS, the EU and the United Nations because the issue of caudillos and open-ended re-elections worries these organizations, ”said Aparicio.

You can also read:  Amparo Carvajal and Carolina Rivero join the vigil in Cochabamba; ask for the release of political prisoners

In this context, Bolivia sets a bad example internationally and the report of the Inter-American Court of Justice serves to guarantee change and the consolidation of democracy in the region.

GIEI report

The members of the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI-Bolivia) arrived in La Paz at dawn yesterday to present the final report on the violence in 2019.

The GIEI Bolivia consists of Juan Méndez from Argentina, Julián Burger from England, Magdalena Correa from Colombia, Marlon Weichert from Brazil, Patricia Tappatá Valdez from Argentina and Jaime Vidal of Chilean-Spanish nationality.

The interdisciplinary group today presents its 2019 investigation report. One front of inquiry that has begun to develop relates to the acts of violence against the press.

The team of experts collected testimony from victims of violations of their rights in Bolivia between September 1 and December 31, 2020.

The document sets out the results of the events investigated and makes recommendations to assist the authorities in promoting justice and ensuring redress for victims.

The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) reported that two of its highest officials will be present at the official delivery of the report on human rights violations in Bolivia prepared by the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts in September and December 2019.

Judge: The document speaks of massacres

The President’s spokesman, Jorge Richter, expected the report of the Interdisciplinary Group of Independent Experts (GIEI) of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission to determine the number of massacres in Senkata (El Alto) and Sacaba (Cochabamba) during the political crisis that the country lived in 2019 Has.

You can also read:  Evo says he was informed that his daughter was vaccinated as an officer

The agency recalled that a delegation from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights arrived in the country between November 22 and 25 to investigate events during the political crisis. Richter said the panel on that report found that there had been serious human rights violations in Bolivia.

The spokesman pointed out: “One of the chapters relates to massacres, specifically the Senkata (and) the Sacaba massacre. Analyzes, research and considerations go in this direction ”.

After the events of 2019, the Ombudsman’s Office found in a report that there were 20 deaths in both locations during joint operations by the police and the armed forces.

“Since the crime of murder was systematically committed against the civilian population and with the knowledge, orders and instructions of the interim government features that constitute a crime against humanity,” the document says.

The spokesman did not want to give any further details and asked for the above-mentioned report, which the experts did to clarify the circumstances of the events that claimed the lives of Sacaba, Senkata and other people.

Right of withdrawal

Presidential spokesman Jorge Richter expected yesterday that heartbreaking, unimagined events would become known and that the first President Luis Arce would announce the compensation in good time.

“We will learn facts that are really heartbreaking and shocking for Bolivians in terms of respect for the lives of citizens, their physical integrity and the treatment of their rights,” Richter said in an interview with Erbol.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here