Arce announces vaccination of children between 5 and 11 years old against Covid

From today, children aged 5 to 11 years can be vaccinated against Covid-19 throughout Germany, President Luis Arce announced yesterday in good time to explain that Bolivian specialists have been working in recent weeks to collect information and international studies and evaluate reports on relevance to immunize this age group.

Arce also said that China has pledged to donate 3 million doses of the Sinopharm vaccine, which will arrive in the country before the end of the year and will be used exclusively for children between the ages of 5 and 11.

In light of this announcement, the use of Sinopharm for this campaign has been questioned as only the Pfizer brand is approved for use in children. However, news from China shows that vaccination of children between the ages of 3 and 17 in that country began exactly on November 3rd with its own vaccine.

“It was decided that the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine, approved in various countries for children, would be used for this age group. The vaccination schedule will be the same as for other age groups: two doses 21 days apart, ”said the President.

You can also read:  They confirm the arrival of 150,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine in the country

“Based on the logic that childhood is above all (…) we have made the decision that from tomorrow (today) Thursday, December 9th, the vaccination against Covid-19 will be extended to children between five and nine years of age” The Bolivian President said in a message yesterday.

cases

As of the beginning of the last month of the year, most of the positive coronavirus cases in the country have been concentrated in four departments: Santa Cruz, La Paz, Tarija and Cochabamba. 7,508 positive cases of Covid-19 were reported between December 1st and 7th.

According to official information from the Ministry of Health, the Santa Cruz Department concentrated 56 percent of the infections and new cases registered during this period. 4,210 cases have been recorded in this eastern department.

The department of Tarija follows at a distance with 868 cases in the first week of December, which corresponds to 11.56 percent of the cases.

La Paz is in third place with the highest infections, with 840 positive Covid-19 cases that makes up 11.18 percent of the total cases.

You can also read:  12 former presidents accuse Arce of pursuing a "policy of harassment" towards Mesa and asking him to stop "legal pressure"

Cochabamba ranks fourth in infections with 706, which corresponds to a percentage of 9.40.

According to calculations, these four departments account for almost 89 percent of positive coronavirus cases, the remaining 11 percent are accounted for by the remaining five departments. Potosí, Chuquisaca, Oruro, Pando and Beni.

New variant

With the appearance of the Omicron variant, health authorities reported that they would have the action “ready” when a case of the new variant was reported.

Ability to recognize variants

National Health Laboratory Institute (Inlasa) executive director Evelín Fortún reported that this entity, dependent on the Ministry of Health and Sports, has the technology and human capacities to identify the variant of Ómicron when it is circulating in the country.

“We are sure that we can find the Omicron variant, if available, which was identified as a matter of concern a few days ago. We have the technical capacity and qualified specialists to detect the presence of this variant when it was in the country” stressed the scientist.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here